Saturday, November 18, 2006

Well Hi All Y'all!

Been busy peoples.

A very weird thing happened to me a little while ago. . . I have very long hair, and when I sleep, I braid it so that it doesn't strangle me when I'm tossing and turning. Soo, one night a couple night's ago, I took pity on my cat, who wanted to sleep in the nice warm bed, and let him come up. He took his usual position (I've taken pity on him many times before), curled up in the small of my back, and as I drifted back to sleep I was slightly aware of a distinct "snip. . .snip. . snip" sound. When I woke up the next morning, my orange fluff of a cat was snuggled up around. . .MY BRAID!!! And it wasn't attached to my head!!! The little brat likes chewing on my elastic hair bands, but this time he went too far. He snipped off about 8 inches of my hair, and I had to trim it a bit with the scissors to get it even. I can't believe his teeth are that sharp, but. . .the evidence is right in front of me. Oh well. Probably needed a trim anyway.

The other weird experience I've had since I last posted here (well, not THE other, but one of the more notable ones) was pretty interesting. My brother decided to move back up north because of the job situation, so I tagged along with him. My parents told us to drive up a certain way, but after he and I sat down to look at some maps, we decided to make "our own" decision and go up another way that, yes, cut about 300-400 miles off the trip, but. . . probably wasn't the best way to go. Up north this time of year, it gets really cold. Sleeping in the truck was not a nice experience, especially when my brother's toes actually turned blue. And going to a Novus Ordo mass out of desperation one Sunday was too horrible to even relate. But the weirdest thing was on our last leg of the trip, driving through Hell's Canyon. . .at night. In the rain. And slush. In an old truck.

If ye've never been to Hell's Canyon, you must go, it must be gorgeous in the daylight. At night, however, it is very aptly named. Almost every 400-500 feet of road, there is a hairpin turn, with old wooden guard rails and drop offs four feet away from your outside tire. There is also an enormously high expansion/trestle bridge that actually spans over the top of a little town. . .very interesting looking down while driving over it, to see the lights blinking wayyyyy down there. There are bluffs, and cliffs, and lakes, and a river, and rocks in the road, and deer dashing out at stupid times, and big riggers passing you at 80 mph when the sign clearly says 30, and a brother who really is a good driver, but who is still your younger brother whom you used to help change diapers for, so you really don't feel too keen on trusting him with your life right at that moment. . .especially when he's got Johnny Cash (or Joaquin Phoenix pretending to be Johnny Cash) blasting out of the speakers while his 3 year old windshield wipers are working fine on the passenger side and not working at all on the driver side. Yeah. In the rain. . .and slush. . .and in an old truck. . .did I mention no brake lights?I'm sure I've got a couple white hairs that I will definitely be able to blame on Hell's Canyon.

Sooo, I think we finally got out of that place at about midnight, and as soon as we saw a motel, we decided sleeping in the truck was not going to happen again. We woke up to about four inches of snow and icey roads, which thawed pretty nicely by the time we had taken nice hot showers and eaten a good, motel breakfast (hey, it was free, so it was good), and we made it to my parent's house by 1pm. All in all, it was great spending some quality time with one of my favorite brothers;)


If you haven't read "The Spiritual Combat" by Dom Lorenzo Scupoli, you have got to go to TAN books and get it. If you are the fight or die kind of person, the kind that doesn't lay down his arms for anything, then you will love this book. To put it very well (copying from the back of the book), "It shows the Christian how to combat his passions and vices with an intelligent method, in order to arrive at victory, rather than running around blindly beating the air". It has been instructing Rad Trads for over 400 years.

Okey doke, that's it. I'm outta here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back in day I used to have exceptionally long hair as well. I remember the horror I felt for days afterwards when I first cut it, when I was 17! I didn't want to cut it but I had to help my dad and my brothers on the farm and the heavy equipment was dangerous to work around with long hair.

My sister measured mine before it was cut, and from root to tip, my hair was 39 inches BC (before cut).

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home