Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A book every housewife should own. . . .

The Joy of Cooking

This cookbook has everything you could possibly ever want to know about cooking in it. Detailed information about how to do certain techniques correctly, what this pan is for and that funny looking gadget does, things like that. If you've ever had a cooking dilema or questions, this book is like the encyclopedia of cooking, with almost all the answers! I grew up with the older version, and had recipes in it for things like muskrat, raccoon, wild rabbit, you name it! The new version, which I was given for a wedding present, is a bit more updated and has a bit of the fat trimmed out of its recipes, but it is still chock full of great information for the budding cook.

It's also the perfect cooking book for classes, if you are teaching a teen to cook (hi homeschoolers!). There is information about liquid and solid measurements, how ingredients react with each other, how proteins respond to heat, what makes eggs fluffy when they are beaten, basic nutritional information, and things like that. When I have teenagers, we are going to go through this whole entire book from cover to cover, and not just with the girls. Every young man should know how to cook, and some of them really take a liking to it!

My favorite cookbook, the Joy of Cooking.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sisters and I all were given this book as wedding presents. I think its a tradition in my family since I too grew up with an older version without the dustjacket and covered in pasta sauce or misc. food stains.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must be an American tradition then because I too was given this cooking book for my wedding (31 years ago!), and have since given it to all of my daughters and daughters-in-law for their weddings.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home